Posted on | April 2, 2009 | 9 Comments
I have lain awake many a night pondering the big questions of the universe. Life, death, the GFC and whether or not global warming will kick in early causing me to drown me in my sleep. However, there is one problem that has been on my mind for years, with no resolution, until now.
I want a strawberry wall!!! Just as much as I wanted my two front teeth for Christmas when I was a kid. I have gone through every option in my head and come up devoid of a workable idea.
Here are a few ideas that failed my thought experiments:
- build a tall brick wall box and leave gaps for the strawberries. (A brick wall is too set, what if I want to move it on a hot day. Also difficult to judge watering – how is the soil down the bottom)
- buy one of those terraced pots (Too small and still too close to the ground, for bugs)
- buy a hessian bag and put holes in it all up the side. (Probably dry out quickly and difficult for watering)
- fill up some polystyrene foam boxes and stack them on top of each other and once again put holes in the side. (Fussy to water – have to pull it all apart)
- nail plastic pots to a wooden wall. (Don’t have a wooden fence and the pots will cook in the heat)
- fill old tyres with soil and terrace them up in a gradual slope. (I’m into recycling but I don’t trust using tyres for food production)
- put hanging baskets of varying lengths against a wall. (Don’t have a wall in the right spot)
My latest one was:
- figure out how to connect a whole bunch of pots (say with chip board) and then pop them up on their side. To water just pop them down, water and then pop up again. (No, too fussy)
None of these were suitable. Each had their own problems.
Then I stumbled across the holy grail!
There is a whole lot of new technology for building garden walls. I’m learning about Vertical Greening Modules. There is still not a lot of information about but here is a good start. http://vertigarden.com/
In the meantime, I’ve gotten all arty and built some fabulous ‘strawberry towers’. They work a treat. Have a look here.
Does anyone out there have any ideas to contribute to this? Please feel free to leave a comment. I’m all ears. Cheers Riley Jordan.